Odra Trail – Słodowa Island 
Islands: Tamka, Piasek, Bielarska, Daliowa, Młyńska and Słodowa make up eastern group of city islands circled by two branches of Odra – north and south. Apart from Tamka, all the islands are connected by old and modern bridges and footbridges.
Słodowa island was formerly called Bielarska Przednia – from workshops of bleachers that is people who bleached linen. Current name of the island refers to plants producing malt for beer production which operated here. On the inner-city islands worked first Wrocław mills. Mill of St. Matthias on Tamka and mill Maria – on the Sand and Mill Island. On Bielarska and Słodowa islands built were two mills of St. Clara. They were all owned by Wrocław monasteries.
Only in the nineteenth century (after demolition of the fortifications and due to secularisation) on the Słodowa Island built were residential buildings, and the shores of the river around the islands were from then on used as natural bathing zones. The first river bathing zone was opened in 1804 on the banks of Tamka by military doctor F. Zirtzow. In 1873, a teacher of gymnastics F. Kallenbach founded first indoor swimming pool for men on the Island Bielarska, and soon – on Tamka – also for women. Large number of bathing zones proved the high popularity of this form of recreation – at the beginning of the twentieth century, several objects of this type were moored to the city islands or operated on the backwaters of Olawa and Bystrzyca.
Nowadays, Słodowa Island, with a single tenement saved from the Second World War, has recreational functions. At its western end, near University bridges, operates Cypel Harbour from which small ships sail upriver. During the cruise, you can see historical hydro-technical facilities of the Wrocław Water Junction.
The island has no connection to the left bank of Odra. Three crossings allow passage to the neighboring islands: Piasek, Młyńska and Bielarska and modern Słodowa footbridge provides access to the right bank of Odra.
There were some islands in the Odra valley
In it some Slavs refined as beavers
They skinny dipped danced dozed off without quilts
Not quite a year not quite a mile until Chrobry
After some wine practices courting
Before he puts his sword into its scabbard slowly fate with water from the crystal caused these islands’ outline out of space describe and paint to look like an intergalactic lump…
LUC, Kosmostumostów & trzeci wymiar, fragment of text placed on a mural under rail bridge on Legnicka Street.
- Stopień wodny Opatowice, Śluza Opatowice
- Stopień wodny Bartoszowice, Śluza Bartoszowice
- Przystań ZOO, Port STANICA, Port RANCZO
- Przystań Zwierzyniecka, Most Zwierzyniecki, Kanał Miejskiego
- Szczytniki Barrage, Szczytniki Lock
- Wyspiański Shore
- Ujście rzeki Oława, Port Węglowy, Odra Centrum
- Grunwaldzki Bridge
- Kanał Żeglugowy, Śluza Zacisze
- Boulevard of Lech and Maria Kaczyński
- Gondola Bay
- Boulevard of Xawery Dunikowski
- Włostowic boulevard
- Most Tumski, Mosty Młyńskiej
- Sand Bridge, the Tamka Island
- The upper barrage, Sand Lock
- Słodowa Island
- Most Uniwersytecki, Marina
- The lower barrage – Burgher’s Lock
- Mieszczański Stopień Wodny, Elektrownie wodne
- Port Miejski, Kępa Mieszczańska
- Stopień wodny Różanka, Śluza Różanka
- Barrage Psie Pole, The City Lock
- Most Milenijny, Zimowisko Barek Osobowice 1
- Port Popowice
- Zimowisko Barek Osobowice 1
- Stocznia Kozanów
- Stopień wodny Rędzin, Śluzy Rędzin
- Home page
See also our Partner: www.WroclawNadOdra.pl [eng]