Odra Trail – Barrage Psie Pole, The City Lock 
In the late nineteenth century, the need to create a new shipping path has resulted in construction of a new barrage – Psie Pole. Works on the Great Inland Way, adapted to larger transport barges were conducted in 1892-1897. Used for this purpose was the riverbed of Old Odra, it was also necessary to dig a City Canal parallel to Old Odra.
To maintain sufficiently high water level, allowing for navigation in the canal, built was Psie Pole Weir. This interesting monument of hydraulic engineering, mobile two-span needle-trestle weir is the only one of its kind still functioning in Wrocław Odra. The flow of water in the weir is controlled by hand-stacked wooden needles leaned against the stone sill of the weir.
At the beginning of the City Canal placed was a flood gate, the design of which resembles a vertical drawer sliding out of the niche under the storm bridge. In the lower part of the canal was built City Lock (Śluza Miejska). It is a chamber lock 9.6 metres wide and 55.8 metres long, with walls of stone faced granite blocks. The lock was closed with steel support gates and an extra pair of flood gates.
During the modernization of the Wrocław Water Junction within the framework of the „Programme for the Odra River 2006″, run over the years, the trough of the City Canal was cleared and adapted to allow for passing flood waters. The action also enabled renovating historic flood gate and building a new segment one at the entrance to the City Canal, and modernising the City Lock. Along the left bank of the canal created was a boulevard with cycling and walking routes. At the City Lock created were a harbour for passenger ships and a new pumping station.
After the catastrophic flood of 1903 and due to insufficient capacity of the City Canal, it was decided to further reconstruct Wrocław Water Junction. This time built was a modern Sailing Canal with large locks for chain of barges and Flood Canal parallel to it.
You know that water that flows through Silesia
Its sharp flow to foreign land,
On which ships travel from Raciborz
Till they reach Szczecin, just next to sea?
This is this Odra, on which we carry
From Upper Silesia neverending goods.
Jan Mehl, Rafter’s song
- Stopień wodny Opatowice, Śluza Opatowice
- Stopień wodny Bartoszowice, Śluza Bartoszowice
- Przystań ZOO, Port STANICA, Port RANCZO
- Przystań Zwierzyniecka, Most Zwierzyniecki, Kanał Miejskiego
- Szczytniki Barrage, Szczytniki Lock
- Wyspiański Shore
- Ujście rzeki Oława, Port Węglowy, Odra Centrum
- Grunwaldzki Bridge
- Kanał Żeglugowy, Śluza Zacisze
- Boulevard of Lech and Maria Kaczyński
- Gondola Bay
- Boulevard of Xawery Dunikowski
- Włostowic boulevard
- Most Tumski, Mosty Młyńskiej
- Sand Bridge, the Tamka Island
- The upper barrage, Sand Lock
- Słodowa Island
- Most Uniwersytecki, Marina
- The lower barrage – Burgher’s Lock
- Mieszczański Stopień Wodny, Elektrownie wodne
- Port Miejski, Kępa Mieszczańska
- Stopień wodny Różanka, Śluza Różanka
- Barrage Psie Pole, The City Lock
- Most Milenijny, Zimowisko Barek Osobowice 1
- Port Popowice
- Zimowisko Barek Osobowice 1
- Stocznia Kozanów
- Stopień wodny Rędzin, Śluzy Rędzin
- Home page
See also our Partner: www.WroclawNadOdra.pl [eng]